In our recent blog 'Mac OS X Mavericks Developer Preview on your Windows machine' we wrote about getting the new OS X 10.9 Mavericks boot with Windows host OS via VMware and how to extract the Mavericks OS X .dmg archive on Windows with DMG Extractor. Now, it's time to let the hunger games begin. And as always may the odds be ever in your favour! :)
Let's take a look at three comparison metrics and find out more about what makes Windows 8 or Mac OS X beautiful to users.
Windows and Apple's Mac OS X UX
- Windows focuses on the unification of tablets and PC when it comes to it UX.
- The Windows 8.1 Preview brings the reintroduction of the Start button, which is actually only a tease, it only returns you to the Start Screen and its Live Tile interface.
Mac OS X
- Apple, on the other hand, is still keeping their UX separate. Introducing successful features from its iOS mobile software onto their new OS X.
- We have certainly grown fond of the drag and drop feature OS X introduced a good while ago and we'd love to see that working smoothly on Windows as well, isn't this so Windows users?
- Microsoft have the SkyDrive cloud based online system which is pushed by Windows and accessible from Windows 8 Phone, Windows 8, Android devices and iOS devices.
- Microsoft also give away Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote on the SkyDrive giving you the ability to share files with anyone or to keep private. It also links with Office 365 and Standard Office, to make file share really easy.
Mac OS X
- For OS X there is the Apple iCloud for storing and managing passwords and apps like Maps and iBooks, across iOS devices.
- New on Mavericks, you can store your website username, password (Password Generator) and credit card details and Wi-Fi credentials. Everything is encrypted with AES 256-bit and also pushed to iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- At present the email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications are backed up only when performing an iTunes backup of your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch with encryption turned on.
- A new addition to OS X is iWork, bringing Pages, Numbers and Keynote to both OS X and Windows users via the web. Cannot be yet compared to Google Drive or Office 365 but certainly a small step for OS X and Windows users but a big step for Apple.
Why would we added gaming as a metric to compare two Operating Systems? Well, you might remember the TED talk given by the game designer Jane McGonigal that offered to increase one's lifespan with 7.5 minutes by simply watching her talk.
This talk certainly makes you say; "I want to play games!", doesn't it? As if you needed enough of an excuse!
- Windows is very much known for its games selection and specialised PC game machines. Devoted gamers are definitely Windows users and the hottest games are Windows titles.
Mac OS X
- Mac's are not known for computer games, however the Mac Store does offer good selection of title choices like Call of Duty for occasional gamers.
- Mac user tend to have a selection of iDevice with a great array of App Store games. These addictive pickup games are nearly always available in Mac format in the Mac App Store
* Devoted gamers video capturing their gameplay with FRAPS software can use our Reincubate Video Converter to convert Fraps videos for YouTube upload or for better compression. We provide handy tips and tricks to get the most out of your Fraps video capture!
Are you a Windows or a Apple fanboy? Do you favour PCs or tablets? Is the new Mavericks super sexy enough for you that it makes you want you give it a go? Share your thoughts with us, below!